Metabolic syndrome refers to the presence of any three of the following in a person-
- Increased Triglyceride levels
- Decreased HDL cholesterol level (Good Cholesterol)
- High Blood Pressure
The reason these conditions are clubbed together is because of strong evidence that the combination of these conditions is fatal.
Unfortunately, metabolic syndrome is now seen in younger population too, putting them at risk for heart attacks, strokes and premature death! The percentage of obesity has risen sharply in the last 20 years. So far considered a western world problem, it is now on the rise in India.
- eat home cooked meals often
- stay active
- instill healthy eating habits to children
- avoid fast foods
- look for healthier eating options when dining out